Training & Licensing is pleased to work alongside CPL Training Group, the leading provider of licensed retail and hospitality training in the UK, in helping our clients to complete the mandatory training required to run a pub business in England and Wales. For all course enquiries and bookings, please call us on 01902 374940

Personal Licence

CPL Training

In order to be able to sell alcohol from a licensed premises in England and Wales, you or a member of your staff, must hold a personal licence.

The personal licence holder authorises the sales of alcohol from the premises.

The designated premises manager must possess a personal licence.

In many premises, other members of staff also hold a personal licence so that can also authorise sales and as a matter of best practice.

In order to apply for your personal licence in England and Wales you must first gain the appropriate qualification. Once you have achieved this qualification you will then need to complete and submit the licence application.

Award for Personal Licence Holders (APLH) Level 2

CPL Training

Awarded by the BIIAB

CPL Training schedule over 1,000 Award for Personal Licence Holders training courses each year in 75 locations across England and Wales. This qualification is awarded by the British Institute of Innkeeping Award Body (BIIAB).

Course Content

The one day APLH training course will provide each learner with a clear understanding of the framework of law and regulation that underpins the responsibilities of the Personal Licence holder. This will include:

  • Licensing Authorities and the Licensing Objectives
  • Personal and Premises licences
  • Operating schedules
  • Permitted temporary activities
  • Unauthorised licensable activities
  • Police powers and rights of entry
  • Legal and social responsibilities of the personal licence holder
  • Illegal drugs, the effects of alcohol and disorderly conduct
  • Protection of children


The APLH qualification is gained by passing a 40 question, multiple-choice examination.



Pre-Entry Awareness Training


Course Overview

The PEAT (Pre-Entry Awareness Training) e-learning course has been designed for prospective tenants/lessees who are considering signing a pub tenancy or lease agreement in England & Wales. It will allow individuals to identify the main issues which need to be considered and investigated before signing a pub tenancy or lease agreement.

If you are considering entering into a pub lease or tenancy agreement in England and Wales, taking PEAT will give you the knowledge you need to evaluate the agreement you are considering.

Completing this course will help you to prepare for your interview and subsequent meetings with your chosen pub company. It will help you identify both the questions you need to ask and the professional advice you need to seek to enable you to make informed commercial decisions. It will also cover the information a pub company needs to give you.

Modules include:

  • The Pub Industry
  • Types of Agreements
  • The Tie
  • The Premises & Repairs/Maintenance
  • Rent
  • Business Planning
  • Pub Company Support
  • What Next?

Disclaimer : Once a course has been booked will not be responsible for the refund of any courses.